Saturday 1 March 2014

2014 SAC Challenge, Week 2 March 1, 2014

 

SAC Challenge 2014, WEEK #2, compose 6 songs in 6 weeks

Overview of this week's blog:

1. Listen to the song (link)
2. Lyrics for song #2
3. Epiphanies about the songwriting process
4. The assignment for week #2 

Listen to the song:

 https://soundcloud.com/sherashakera/thewayyoudress-bysherashakera-mp3

Lyrics for song #2

The way you dress 
 Artist: Shera Shakera
 Lyrics & Music by: S. Katz

 Intro:
I love the way you dress

Verse:
Was it intentional or just a coincidence
We both dressed in red today
And I haven’t seen you since (you’re red)
When our paths do meet again
Will our clothes be matched again
Our friendship rules, coincidence or not

Chorus
I love the way you dress
I love the way you dress
Red, green or blue
No one’s like you
I love the way you dress

Verse
Was it a miracle or just a coincidence
We picked up the phone today
At the very same time
I had just gone shopping now
You had just gone shopping too
Couldn’t wait to see you again

Chorus
I love the way you dress
I love the way you dress
Red, green or blue
You look so cool
I love the way you dress

Bridge
Even when you’re not dressed up
Static hair, the morning blues
Doesn’t matter, I love you
Doesn’t matter, I love you

Verse:
But it’s just a miracle, not just a coincidence
Your shoes match my shirt today
My socks match your hat
We have surface clothing love
Even though you’re so unique
Our friendship rules, cause we love our planet

Chorus
I love the way you dress
I love the way you dress
Red, green or blue
Cause vintage rules
I love the way you dress

Extro
Oooh Oooh
What will you wear today
Will our clothes be matched again
I love you when we don’t match too
Our friendship rules, coincidence or not.

And I love the way you dress.

Epiphanies about the songwriting process:


The song came about after 10-minutes of observations in the dungeons of Montreal, that is, the metro trains, otherwise known as the “subway”.

I took notes on everything in the metro with regards to my senses:

Everything I saw, smelled, heard, and wrote about how I felt about it, for exactly ten minutes.

Towards the end of the 10 minutes, my last observation was about how two people who appeared to be so different, were wearing the exact same colour, red.

Right away, I thought of a chorus for a song, “I love the way you dress.”

I reflected on how I liked the way the woman in red was dressed, and how it would be a coincidence if I would run into a friend and be dressed in a similar color (it’s happened to me before), and we both were happy with our clothing choices.

I also thought about how clothes are superficial and wanted to reflect that they don’t tell you enough about a person, they just reflect the surface, and a good friend would look good to me even when not dressed up, like just getting out of bed, so I added those ideas to the song.

I also wanted to throw in a little environmental message, hence I added the idea of hinting about vintage clothing and our planet, but did not want to get overly political because I want more people to be able to relate to the general idea of the song, e.g. loving the way a person dresses even if you are dressed similarly and loving them for who they are no matter how they dress.

Here are my initial observations that sparked this song (I wrote these notes when I was in the metro):

“In the distance, I see red, a woman with a pierced ear and bangs dyed in red, that matches her red headphones and purse, her fingers tattooed, her tiger print skirt matches her glasses and she stares into the distance, what is she thinking…
An old man with a furry hat and red coat get up and stands next to the young lady in red, their clothes match but they look like they have nothing else in common, his hands are shaking but it appears as if he intentionally dressed that way to match the lady in red.”

Just as an aside, I decided not to type up all the notes for all the observations that I made over a five day period, but I am keeping them in a notebook for they can be used later to provide a rich amount of content for future songs. Or perhaps in the future I will add more of them here, but due to the time constraints of getting it all done in one week, this is what I have decided.
 

I will tell you that the five places I chose included: 
1. My bedroom
2. The bus
3. The library
4. The café (coffee shop)
5. The metro (or subway)

I started writing a song about the bus, but I decided to focus on a song based on my fifth day of observations, based on a metro (subway) underground experience.

Another epiphany I had regarding these 10 minute-a-day observations is that in each location, it's not just about what I see. There are feelings attached to being in a location (how do I feel about what's going on around me). There is a lot to hear, sometimes smell, and even the idea of taste (if someone is eating), and finally touch (e.g. the way my body feels touching the seat). 

By the fifth day, I started to crave my 10-minute time, because it felt like a positive, meditative experience that forced me to stop, breathe, and just totally be with myself in the present moment.

 The assignment for week #2

Having an antennae on you means that you are an observer & you are focused on observation.

According to songwriter Christopher Ward:


"Spend 10 minutes a day for the next 5 days in 5 different places, i.e. subway, take-out counter, coffee shop, etc., and turn on your antennae.  Jot down some song ideas based on each of those 10 minutes.  Then, at the end of the week, choose your favourite and write a song."
-Christopher Ward

 
Cheers, Peace & Love from:

Shera Shakera

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment